At this point in your scholarship hunt, you are aware that coaches are looking for the top athletes in your sport with the highest academics. But, did you know that there are other qualities that can set you apart that coaches are secretly looking for?
- Must have a hard work ethic on and off the field: You clearly have the skills talent. But, coaches are not only concerned with how well you play, they also want to see how well you prepare, how hard you train, and how you handle yourself off the field. Coaches want to see athletes who join clubs in school, volunteer in community service, and, show that no matter what they do, they go after it with all they have.
- Good Sportsmanship: How you relate to your opponents, teammates and coaches is key. Throwing fits after a bad call, or rubbing in a win while a college scout is watching could ruin your shot at playing for that school. You represent the school as a student-athlete and you should always show respect.
- Be Goal-Oriented: Small goals, like stretching for 10 minutes every day after practice is a great place to start. Show coaches that you have a plan. You set goals and you reach them. Share with interested coaches your short term and your long term goals.
- Passion for the Game: Coaches can’t teach heart; it takes a special kind of athlete to display true passion. This is what coaches are looking for. You either have it or you don’t.
- Desire to Be the Best: Desiring to be the best doesn’t necessarily mean breaking world records. It means reaching your absolute highest potential. When you possess this trait, it shows a coach that you have fire in your eyes and want nothing but success. That’s the kind of player a coach is after.
Therefore, if you are looking to earn an athletic scholarship, reach out to us! Click here.